Specifying the functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of
the General Statistics Office directly under the Ministry of Planning and Investment
Pursuant to the Law on Organization of the Government dated June 19, 2015;
Pursuant to the Statistics Law dated November 23, 2015;
Pursuant to the Decree No. 123/2016/ND-CP dated September 01, 2016 by the Government defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of ministries and ministerial-level agencies;
Pursuant to the Decree No. 85/2017/ND-CP dated July 19, 2017 by the Government defining the organizational structure, duties, powers of the centralized statistics organization system and statistics organizations in ministries, ministerial-level agencies;
Pursuant to the Decree No. 86/2017/ND-CP dated July 25, 2017 by the Government defining the functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the Ministry of Planning and Investment;
At the proposal of the Minister of Planning and Investment;
The Prime Minister of Government promulgates the Decision on the functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the General Statistics Office directly under the Ministry of Planning and Investment.
Article 1. Position and functions
1. The General Statistics Office (GSO) is an institution directly under the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI), performing the advisory function to help the Minister of MPI in state management of statistics; coordinate and organize statistical activities, and provide socio-economic statistical information to agencies, organizations and individuals in accordance with the law.
2. GSO has a legal status, a seal bearing the pattern of national emblem, an account at the State Treasury, and its headquarters in Hanoi.
Article 2. Duties and powers
1. To submit following matters to the Minister of MPI to bring forward to the Government, the Prime Minister for consideration and decision or submit to competent authorities for consideration and decision:
a) Law and ordinance projects, draft resolutions of the National Assembly, the Standing Committee of the National Assembly, draft resolutions and decrees of the Government; draft decisions and directives of the Prime Minister concerning statistics;
b) Strategies, plans, schemes, projects and action programs on statistics;
c) Amending, supplementing the list of National statistical indicators; the contents of the statistical indicators in the National Statistical Indicator System; National statistical classification; provincial, district and commune statistical indicator systems; and the national statistical reporting regime;
d) The system of standards for statistical information quality management in the State Statistics System;
e) Other legal documents on statistics as prescribed by law.
2. To submit to the MPI Minister matters below for consideration and decision:
a) Statistical indicator system, statistical reporting regime, statistical classification of the planning, investment and statistical sectors assigned;
b) Regulations on disseminating statistical information in the centralized statistics organization system;
c) Circulars, decisions, directives, schemes and other documents on statistics within the competence of the MPI.
3. To assist the MPI Minister in presiding over and coordinating with ministries and branches in the implementation of the following contents:
a) Developing and managing the national statistical information system, the statistical information system at provincial and district level;
b) Guiding, inspecting and reporting the results of the implementation of the national statistical indicator system, the statistical indicator system of the planning, investment and statistical sectors, the provincial, district and commune statistical indicator system and the national statistical survey program according to the provisions of the law;
c) Assuming the prime responsibility for and coordinating with relevant ministries and branches in developing and organizing the implementation of the regulation on coordination in provision and use of administrative data for state statistics activities in accordance with the regulations of the law;
d) Organizing and coordinating the following activities: Research and application of advanced statistical methodology; development and application of information and communication technology; connection, provision of data and information among state statistical information systems; implementing the standards of management and evaluation of statistical information quality; reporting the results of consultation with users of statistical information in state statistical activities.
4. To promulgate and implement the state statistical information release calendar; provide professional guidance within the scope of management of the GSO and according to the provisions of the law.
5. To organize the implementation of legal documents, policies, strategies, planning, programs, projects and schemes prescribed in Clauses 1 and 2 of this Article after being approved and promulgated by competent authorities.
6. To organize the propaganda, dissemination and education of the statistics law.
7. To appraise knowledge and specialty for the sectoral statistical indicator system, including adjusted and supplemented statistical indicators; the sectoral statistical reporting regime; the sectoral statistical classification; sectoral statistics in the national statistical indicator system; statistical survey plans decided by ministries, branches, provincial People’s Committees.
8. To preside over and coordinate with ministries, branches, localities in the implementation of the population and housing census, the rural and agricultural census; the economic census and other censuses, surveys assigned by the Prime Minister. To carry out statistical surveys in the national statistical survey programs decided by the MPI Minister.
9. To organize the information collection, the aggregation and compilation of statistical indicators assigned in accordance with the provisions of the law.
10. To manage the centralized, united national statistical database system and connect with other national databases, sectoral databases; provide data and information related to published statistical information in the statistical databases for agencies, organizations and individuals; ensure information confidentiality of organizations and individuals in data provision in accordance with the law.
11. To carry out statistical analysis and forecast to serve the development, assessment of the implementation of socio-economic strategies, plans and policies; report on the results of surveys and censuses; report on thematic analysis; report on the assessment of socio-economic strategies, plans and policies.
12. To publish statistical information in the national statistical indicator system, statistical information in the statistical indicator system of the planning, investment and statistical sectors.
13. To perform the statistics-related professional inspection, carry out checks to the use of statistical information, data of the national statistical indicators, provincial, district, commune statistical indicators published by the competent authority; detect, prevent and settle cases in accordance with the competence or ask competent authorities to settle violations of statistics law and regulations regarding statistics-related profession.
14. To implement international cooperation in state statistical activities as assigned and decentralized by the Minister of MPI and in accordance with the law.
15. To provide training and further education in terms of statistics profession to statisticians in the state statistical organization system, statistical enumerators and statistical collaborators.
16. To manage the organizational structure, job positions, payroll of civil servants, structures of civil servant ranks, the number and structure of public employees based on professional title and labor contract; to apply the salary regime, the preferential allowance regime according to the statistical industry and others; organize emulation, commendation and discipline for civil servants, public employees and contract workers under the management of the GSO in accordance with the law and decentralization of the Minister of MPI.
17. To carry out administrative reform; prevent and fight corruption, negative acts and practice thrift and combat wastefulness; inspect and resolve complaints and denunciations, handle in line with the competence or propose competent authorities in accordance with the law for law violations within the sphere of management of GSO and according to provisions of the law.
18. To manage assigned finance, assets and construction investment projects in accordance with the law and decentralization of the Minister of MPI.
19. To provide public services on statistics in accordance with the law.
20. To manage public non-business units directly under GSO in accordance with the law.
21. To perform other duties and powers assigned by the Minister of MPI and according to the regulations of the law.
Article 3. Organizational structure
The GSO is organized into a hierarchical system from the central to local levels, ensuring the principle of centralization and unity.
1. Statistical offices at the central level:
a) Statistical Methodology and Quality Management Department;
b) Integral Statistics and Statistical Information Dissemination Department;
c) System of National Accounts Department;
d) Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Statistics Department;
e) Industrial and Construction Statistics Department;
f) Trade and Service Statistics Department;
g) Price Statistics Department;
h) Population and Labour Statistics Department;
i) Social and Environmental Statistics Department;
j) Foreign Statistics and International Cooperation Department;
k) Personnel Department;
l) Financial Planning Department;
m) Statistical Legislation and Inspection Department;
n) Administration Department;
o) Statistical Data Collection and Information Technology Application Department;
p) Institute of Statistical Science;
q) Figures and Events Journal;
r) Statistical Publishing House;
s) College of Statistics;
t) College of Statistics II.
The organizations specified from Point a to Point o, Clause 1 of this Article are administrative organizations assisting the Director General in performing the state management function; The organizations defined from Point p to Point t, Clause 1 of this Article are non-business organizations.
The GSO’s Administration Department is organized into six divisions; the Statistical Data Collection and Information Technology Application Department is organized into four divisions and four centers.
The Statistical Data Collection and Information Technology Application Department has a legal status, its own seal and headquarters, and an account at the State Treasury in line with the law.
2. Local statistical offices:
a) Statistical offices in provinces or centrally-run cities (collectively referred to as provincial statistical office [PSO]) directly under the GSO.
PSO is organized into five divisions.
b) Statistical offices in districts, towns, provincial cities; regional statistical offices (collectively referred to as district statistical office [DSO]) directly under PSO.
PSO and DSO have legal status, their own seal and head office. They have right to open accounts at the State Treasury in accordance with the law.
Article 4. GSO Leaders
1. The GSO has a Director General and no more than four Deputies.
2. The Director General and Deputies are appointed and dismissed by the Minister of MPI according to the law.
The Director General is the head of GSO, responsible to the Minister of MPI and the law for all activities of the GSO. The Deputies are responsible to the Director General and the law for their assigned tasks.
The Director General shall specify the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of units under the GSO; appoint, dismiss, accept the resignation, and suspend the heads and deputy heads of units under the GSO in accordance with the provisions of the law and the MPI Ministers decentralization.
Article 5. Validity and transitional provisions
1. This Decision shall take effect on May 20, 2020; replacing Decision No. 54/2010/QD-TTg dated August 24, 2010 by the Prime Minister specifying the functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the GSO directly under the MPI, and the Decision No. 65/2013/QD-TTg dated November 11, 2013 by the Prime Minister amending and supplementing Point a, Clause 1, Article 3 of the Decision No. 54/2010/QD-TTg.
2. The Minister of MPI shall take responsibility for:
a) Organizing divisions of the PSO according to the provisions of Point a, Clause 2, Article 3 of this Decision, to ensure organizational structure and payroll streamlining according to the Partys resolutions and the provisions of the law.
b) Organizing the DSO by the end of 2021 with 486 DSOs.
c) Organizing the DSO by the end of 2022 with 420 DSOs.
3. The Minister of MPI, Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of bodies under the Government, presidents of People’s Committees of provinces and centrally-run cities, the Director General of GSO and relevant organizations and individuals shall be responsible for executing this Decision./.